Monday, February 18, 2008

The Red Alert's Interview with Xiu Xiu's Jamie Stewart

"All of the songs are about things that are going on in my life, or my family's life, or in politics. None of it is exaggerated or theatrical. It's just narratives."-- Jamie Stewart

Interview with Jamie Steward in Hybrid Magazine

"HM: Along similar lines, a lot of people that I've talked to about Xiu Xiu or have made listen to your music have said, "Is it real? Or is it a joke? Are they serious about this stuff?" because a lot of it is so dark and graphic. And I've even read other interviews with you where you've said the same thing, that people think it's funny, or that you're being insincere. And to me, it makes sense that people react like that because I think the whole purpose of humor is to alleviate pain; so some of the funniest things to us are the subjects that are the most painful. But that doesn't make it any less real or sincere. So…I mean, do you agree with that? Is that part of the goal of your music? Or am I missing the point entirely?

JS: Yeah, absolutely. I think that the only real goal that we have is to just write truthfully about the things that are happening to us-"us" meaning the people in the band and our families and the people who are close to us. I mean exactly what you just said: life is just really terrible sometimes. So terrible that it's kind of hilarious. [laughs] So, yeah, I agree entirely with what you're saying."


Yeah, I can't concentrate anymore. Sleep time.

No comments: