Monday, February 4, 2008

CA Conrad, mostly. And a quip about becoming a flight attendant.

Interview with CA Conrad

"You want to know how I write poems? Okay. I touch living things. The more trees I touch the more I dream, the more I dream, the more I write. And walking walking walking walking walking. I'm not a fucking novelist, I'm a poet, the air, the people, the trees, birds, roaches, used condoms (there's the semen again), everything outside is for our lives to investigate, rub against mentally or otherwise. As I said in my first answer, "If you start a poem you start from where you are, which is where everything wound up." Every SINGLE thing that went into making you as you are at this moment is in some way responsible for what kind of poetry comes out of you."

"Forebears though. I'm going to assume you mean in this lifetime. Kafka is without a doubt the ONLY non-poet who fits this. Allen Ginsberg and Walt Whitman, Anne Sexton. These are a few of the poets whose work was available to me when I was a kid."

-- CA Conrad

I think I would like to focus on the Philly Sound poets, or at least CA Conrad and Dorothea Lasky, for the poetry part of my project. I need to read more of their work, and I hope to finish Conrad's Deviant Propulsion tonight. There is something so fantastic about allowing my project to be an interaction with living poets. I just want to read more about Conrad on his poems, too. Is he necessarily the "I"? He feels that way. And his poems are postmodern and queer and they make me want to keep writing poetry, which is an exciting feeling in the winter when everything is hibernating.

Connections for this project are being made in my head that can't translate to words yet, but it's a Monday night and I'm at my laptop and not out trying to fit four years of college social experience into one, so something must be going right!

I think I might move to my bed and finish the book and do yoga and daydream more about becoming a flight attendant if I don't get into grad school.

No comments: