Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Notes on Listening to the Sirens

Article to read for tomorrow: "Musicality, Essentialism, and the Closet" by Philip Brett- Peraino says the article describes how "...music is double-tongued, participating in both the normalizing and abnormalizing of the subject..." (Peraino 7).

Objective of Peraino's book: "This book presents a series of case studies, using Foucault's four technologies as a framework for examining how music functions as a technique in the conceptualization, configuration, and representation of queer subjectivity and identity" (5).

Other useful ideas:
"Music is notoriously resistant to legibility; and althought cultural, feminist, and queer theorists within musicology have worked hard to revea the signatures of subjectivity and ideology in musical sounds, it is arguably music's resistance to legibility that allows for the use of music as a strategy for negotiating queer identity within dominant heterosexual culture" (7).

"...music demarcates a space and time wherein gender and sexuality lose clear definition" (7).

  • This book will not only be an awesome resource, but reading it should thrust me back into a Gipson project mindset!
  • I finished and sent out a rough draft of my statement of purpose today. I also worked on finishing a rough CV to have edited, hopefully by CEL.
  • I did not, however, get to compose, as a result of many factors. This will have to happen tomorrow, but I am NOT missing Anthony Doerr.
  • I should probably be looking up potential conferences to present at...grant applications are due November 15th, so somehow, I think I'm a little too late for that.

    Goals for tomorrow: I would like to both finish the first chapter of Sirens and read the Bret article, but it is more than likely going to be one or the other. I also should compose and talk to Ryan about a possible fourth song for his film-- it might be a good way to ease myself back into the practice.

    Organization will happen this weekend.
  • No comments: