Friday, March 28, 2008

ughhh

The Confessional is generally seen as a failure by two camps-- the disciples of T. S. Eliot and New Criticism and those who maintain that the "I" is unstable and therefore cannot speak for itself. I agree that the "I" is unstable, but poetry, specifically confessional poetry, can be used as a tool to draw attention to the instability.

In the end, the purpose of this exercise allows us to take ourselves and the tools we use to define ourselves a little less seriously.

"Queer" itself cannot be said to be an identity, but the constant redefinition of the boundaries of the constructed self. By allowing the "I" or the "she" of my poetry to experience so many contradictory things makes her identity illegible, thus creating awareness regarding the instability of all identities.

No comments: