Tuesday, March 25, 2008

I want to be gross with feeling! (Preface 37)

How does Chelsey Minnis construct her identity in Bad Bad?

She gives us no room to know whether the poet Chelsey in the poems is actually Chelsey, which is okay because she calls the self of the poems Chelsey, and what does this self have to say?

- playful defiance of poetic conventions...
- What kind of space do her ellipses create?
- Is Chelsey consistent, or is she playful in her inconsistencies?

"I do not wish to deny my own vanity, which is paramount...but I do wish to avoid 'author' photographs..."-- from "Preface 17"

"You can try to believe what I say in my poems, but your teachers will force you to admit it is not true..." from "Preface 32"

- She plays on the poetic tradition of suicidal female poets....

More later.

No comments: